Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...."


On Saturday, my parents, Arian, Kenneth, Zach and myself went up Spring Canyon to get our Christmas trees. We had such a great time and it was nice to get up in the mountains one last time before the snow falls. My dad and Zach had spotted some trees months ago and knew exactly where to go. We had such a fun time in our old truck and going for a four wheeler ride. I just love this time of year and love Christmas!

As soon as I saw this tree I knew it was "the one." It was perfect!

Mr. Tough Guy carrying the tree.

Zach loves to pose. He looks like a statue.

Zach with the "Green Machine." Sorry everybody, but it is not for sale. "Hey Zach, did you just wax that thing?"

And here is the finished product. I have to say that I have cursed this tree quite a bit. Zach surprised me and had it already up after I went shopping. I was so happy and so excited to decorate. We got the decorations out, put "Elf" on and were ready to go. Zach got in the shower to try and get rid of the smoke from earlier in the day while I started with the lights. Well, I remembered that I had bought a new box of lights last year that I thought for sure would be plenty. I started putting the lights on and realized by the time I was half way through that we didn't have enough. So, I took the lights off. Oh, did I mention that this is the prickliest (I'm pretty sure that's not a word, but you get the idea) tree EVER! I had on two shirts, Zach's flannel jacket and leather gloves and still managed to scrape my arms up. It looked like I had chicken pox when I was done. Anyway, I get the other twinkle lights that I'm not a fan of and started again. I'm getting to about the same spot again and getting pricked and having a hard time and notice the tree coming closer and closer to me and WHAM, it falls on me! I'm yelling and yelling and remember that Zach's not going to be able to hear me because he's in the shower. I take a deep breath and lift it up, reposition the tree and finish the lights. I'm pretty particular when it comes to decorating trees. The ribbon and decorations took me a lot longer than needed to be, but I finally get it so that I can be somewhat satisfied. After I told Zach how the tree attacked me and nearly took my life, and him nearly passing out from laughing hysterically, he leveled it about four more times and turned it a few more so that we wouldn't have to worry about it falling over again. We took a step back, admiring the tree and relieved that it was over. I started putting the boxes away and cleaning up and had my back toward the tree when I heard Zach say, "Look out!!" Before I had time to turn my head around and see what was happening, the tree was coming at me again! All I could do was turn back around and cover my head and hope that it wouldn't hurt too bad. The ribbon was all messed up, half the decorations were everywhere on the floor and all the water from the tree stand had come out making a very big mess. I was so upset by this point, even shedding a few tears of frustration and anger. Luckily I have a husband that could only laugh, harder now than before, at his stressed wife. So, that it why our Christmas tree looks like it does. I was done at that point and didn't want anything else to do with it. I think next year we will be buying a fake tree that already has the lights on it.

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Zach and Paula!

How fun! I love that you cut your tree down from the mountain! It's beautiful! I love your story! I'm sure it's one you will remember every Christmas!
It looks like you are making a lot of great memories together!

Merry Christmas!

Maclaine & Sara said...

An artificial tree is the way to go! We had real trees the first two years we were married but they would dry up so fast and become a fire hazard--so we would end up taking it down the day after Christmas. And yes, they are pokey which sucks too. Your story is funny--I wish I could have been there to see it. :)

The Brownies said...

Oh Paula! you funny lady :) 2 times..boy..what did you do to deserve that? :)

Candace said...

That story made me laugh! Even with all of the falling down and stuff your tree still looks very cute.
I've never been brave enough to do a real tree so I'm very impressed!

Chris and Michelle said...

O my heck paula - that is so funny - but look how pretty your tree turned out! I looks so pretty! I have to say the picture of zach posing is pretty awesome!

~Diston's~ said...

Love your tree! I love the Truck in the back ground, I sure miss that truck! I will have to find an old picture to show Zach of his prize Truck and our German Shepherd on the hood!

Terri said...

Your story is the best! I'm glad you shared it with us. I can see Zach laughing his head off.
I hope that my husband hasn't scarred him for life. He's a bit crazy!
It's fun to keep up with everyone via blogs. My blog is private, send me your email and I'll add you.
twilde@allwest.net

Terri

Steve, Bridgit, and Kids said...

I laughed hard when you told me this story in person, but I'm sorry to say I think I laughed even harder reading it. Your tree is beautiful!!! Come over and see ours, it will make you feel a lot better.

Jill Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill Lewis said...

Wow...that was one of the best laughs I have had all week. Yep, not an easy gig to do a wild tree...but certainly worth the memory. You never know, next year you might get a new adventure....so don't give up on the real thing. If you think a fake tree will solve your C-tree woes just imagine Jill trying to put the "fake" tree back in the box...trust me, you Chappell girls will find some way to make it a comedy :). That is why I love being married to Jill...lots of unexpected laughs :).

-Arian

The Nilsons said...

Your tree looks great! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas. Congrats on the marriage too.
Mary
marynilson@gmail